Homeowners go window shopping for many reasons. That is, they are shopping for the best replacement windows to install in their home. Replacement window projects are undertaken to increase the value of a home, improve energy-efficiency, and update older homes. Whatever the reason, selecting a particular manufacturer is one of the most important decisions to make. One key question can determine which replacement windows are right for your home. That question is: Which installation method? Insert of full-frame?
Which Installation Method? The question as to installation method, insert or full-frame, may have been completely unexpected for the average homeowner. The impression that all replacement windows are installed the same way is common. But there are actually two methods of installation and they have significant differences.
Insert Replacement Windows: When using insert replacement windows, the old window, its frame and sash are removed. A replacement window is inserted into the space without disturbing a home’s exterior or interior trim. Homeowners usually have options for color and style with insert replacement windows.
Full-Frame Windows: Setting apart a full-frame window installation is that everything is removed. Interior and exterior trim are replaced along with windowsills. Homeowners then paint or stain trim and windowsills their color of choice.
How To Choose: If a homeowner’s primary concern is the most cost-effective replacement window solution, inserts are the obvious choice. A less labor-intensive project will usually cost less. However, if there is deterioration or rot affecting wood components that are part of a window’s structure, full-frame replacement windows are the better option. But there are other reasons that make full-frame replacement windows a more attractive option. Here are 3 reasons why Infinity by Marvin is your home’s best investment choice:
1. Superior Climate Control: When you pour yourself a tall glass of cold, ice water, it doesn’t take long before you see condensation dripping down the outside of your glass. That’s because the warmer air in the room comes into contact with the cooler surface of the glass and loses its hold on the moisture it contains. Droplets condense on the glass like dew on the grass every morning. This same condensation effect occurs on windows creating an unsightly problem that is impossible to see through. It might also be causing serious moisture damage problems in unseen areas within the home. Homes that frequently experience high indoor humidity related to chronic condensation on windows might develop problems like:
- Mold and mildew growth
- Rotting and warping of interior wood features like cabinets, flooring and trim.
- Ice build-up on the roof
- Damp insulation that becomes ineffective
- Paint damage and discoloration
- Unseen water damage within walls, or in attics and basements
- Strange odors
Infinity by Marvin replacement windows that feature tempered glass solves the condensation problem. Enjoy superior climate control and energy-efficiency with glass designed to heat or cool more rapidly than other types of glass.
2. Architectural Integrity: Older homes and homes with custom paint jobs can maintain architectural and design integrity with Infinity by Marvin replacement windows. With the Interior EverWood finish option, an engineered wood grain surface can be painted or stained so that new replacement windows blend in seamlessly with a home’s interior design color scheme. Older homes that feature wood elements and components throughout the house can stay true to original design even with a modern replacement window upgrade.
3. Easy Cleaning: Have you ever wondered why that old saying associated with housekeepers, “I don’t do windows”, is so iconic? That’s because windows are a pain to clean. It can even be dangerous to clean the outside of upstairs windows. The exterior side of upper level windows are lucky to enjoy a power-washing once or twice annually. There is nothing beautiful about a grubby window. Infinity by Marvin replacement windows featuring a design function to open and tilt inward means that a home can have sparkly clean windows all the time, inside and out.
If you are ready for your windows to be the envy of all your neighbors, please contact us. The technicians at Lakeside Exteriors are certified craftsmen, factory-trained and highly skilled to expertly perform replacement window projects with and an array of brands, including Infinity by Marvin products. Consult today with one of our home exterior professionals for a quote.